As the publishing industry continues to rapidly evolve, the boundaries between traditional publishers, independent publishers and self-publishers are getting increasingly unclear. Green Fire Press is one of a handful of cutting-edge new publishing models made possible by advanced printing technologies and the rise of the Internet as an open channel for the marketing and distribution of books.
- We are a curated press, which means we accept only high-quality manuscripts that dovetail with our mission.
- We are an author-supported press, which means that authors pay an up-front fee to have access to our publishing services.
- We are a collaborative community of writers who understand the value of networking and cross-promotion to lift all boats (or all books, as the case may be).
- We are a team of independent editing, marketing and design professionals, working together to deliver high-quality products that will fulfill our collective vision of using writing to right the world.
Our Publishing Process
Green Fire Press welcomes submissions from writers whose work aligns with our mission. Email us at info@greenfirepress to discuss our submission process.
If we feel your book aligns with the mission and standards of Green Fire Press, we will invite you to submit the full manuscript and a letter outlining your vision for marketing and distribution of the book, along with a non-refundable $500 reading fee. Based on our reading of the manuscript, we will give you detailed feedback on your project, meet or Skype with you to discuss it, and place you in one of the three editorial development stages outlined below.
Stage One: Your manuscript is of great interest to us, but still needs substantial editing to get it into publishable form. We will recommend a freelance developmental editor from our team to work with you directly to polish and refine the manuscript. When you both determine the manuscript is ready to be reviewed again, we will accept it without an additional reading fee.
Stage Two: Your manuscript is very close to publishable, just needing a good copyedit to ensure that your writing is as tight and smooth as possible. We will recommend a freelance copyeditor from our team to copyedit your manuscript. After the copy-edit is complete and you have approved any changes, you can resubmit your manuscript without an additional reading fee.
Stage Three: Your manuscript just needs proofing and then it’s ready to go out in the world! At this stage we will send you a publishing agreement, detailing what we offer our authors. For our basic publication fee of $5,000, you will receive:
- Custom interior design for up to 75,000 words (no photos, illustrations, charts etc.)
- Custom cover design
- Proofreading of your final book galleys
- Print-on-demand setup with Lightning Source (LSI)
- Distribution to the trade via Ingram Publishing
- E-book file preparation and upload to Amazon, B&N and iBookstore;
- Setting up your book for Amazon’s Search Inside the Book, Google’s Book Search, and Barnes & Noble’s See Inside
- Copyright filing and obtaining your Library of Congress control number
- Updating your bibliographic data in the ISBN database
- Listing on our website and GFP social media promotion as well as promotion at any conferences or book expo events attended by Green Fire Press representatives
For an extra fee, our team can provide you with templates and suggestions for creating a basic press kit for your book aimed at both traditional media and social media promotion, including: a 100-word and 50-word book synopsis and an author biography (carefully constructed to include key words aimed at your target audience), a marketing one-sheet, press release and book post card.
All authors publishing with Green Fire Press will receive a negotiated royalty (a percentage of the retail price minus production costs and publishers’ discounts) payable biannually.